From Nansemond Street to the Boulevard, West Cary Street in Carytown will be bustling with watermelon, musicians, vendors and people on Sunday August 7 2011 to take part in the 28th Annual Carytown Watermelon festival. The festival is expected to attract at least 115,000 visitors and here are a few tips to make your participation a fun event for the entire family.
1. Admission is free but you’ll need to bring cash to take advantage of street vendor specials and those tasty juicy cups of watermelon.
2. Pack and bring plenty of water for you and your children.
3. Your dog is welcome; but remember to bring your popper-scooper or disposable plastic doggie bag.
4. Protect yourself from the sun! Sunscreen, sunglasses and hats are de rigeur! And, test out the misting tents for a cool down!
5. Save gas and eliminate your parking hassles by carpooling, walking, or biking.
6. Save your feet! Wear walking shoes so you can enjoy the entire mile-of-style.
7. Bring your appetite! Your favorite Carytown restaurants will be open and over twenty different vendors will offer mouth-watering treats!
8. While alcohol is not sold at the festival, hit any Carytown hotspot for a cold beer or a watermelon inspired cocktail.